“Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country.” William Jennings Bryan

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Spetember 19, 2010


The turkeys are still around. They have really made a home here. It’s not that wild turkeys are rare or too shy to show themselves, but to have them in the front yard and all around the farm all thru the day is new to me. It is a new pattern. Something that hasn’t happened here before.

Through the years there have always been turkeys here, but they would come and go and never stay. We’d see a flock now and then, and maybe a flock would be around for a few days, but they never took up residence like these.

The other day they were sleeping in the front yard! Last weekend they were gobbling outside the bedroom window. Last evening they were hunting grasshoppers with the chickens. I was washing potatoes Thursday and turned toward a “squeal” sound behind me and there was a turkey just five steps from me, supervising I guess! The rest were at Snoopie’s pen having a discussion. And then there was another day that I was in the garden and as I turned at the end of the tomato row, there they were on the other side. Wow! I never knew turkeys liked arugula!

In this flock there are two toms, one hen, and five yearlings (I’m sure there’s a proper name for turkeys this age, but I don’t know it and I am too lazy to go looking for it right now). I am getting so used to having these turkeys around that I am afraid that I will become upset if they leave or are found out by a hunter come turkey season. That’s the thing with everything that finds comfort or security with any of us – we begin to rely on it too, for comfort and security in return…

And that’s a good thing. Even if it’s only for a little while. And even if it’s over a few turkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment