“Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country.” William Jennings Bryan

Sunday, September 19, 2010

September 19, 2010

There are a few things I'd like to share-

South Jersey Slow Food is hosting this year's "Dig In" volunteer day at our farm this coming Saturday, September 25th. The Slow Food movement is about many things - local food, natural food, healthy food, earth care, cooking, creating, and gathering for meals together- everything that is the opposite of "fast food" and the fast food culture.

The purpose of "Dig In" day is to support local farms by helping out on a local farm. It is a national event, with Slow Food groups helping farms and farmers all throughout the country! It's really something when you think of it - people volunteering to weed, hoe, hammer, repair, etc. It's hard work.

I am pretty moved by the fact they they have chosen to help me. And even though the event is still a week away, I want to thank them now. To me, it's more than offering to help or to volunteer - to me it's Grace. I hope Slow Food can understand how much and how deeply I already appreciate that they chose to come to Seventeen Farms this year.

One other thing to share -

Karen, who comes to the farm every week to help us with the CSA, asked if she could put some of her recipes on the blog. I didn't even hesitate to say yes! Karen is working on some of her recipe ideas , and I will be posting them very soon. I think hers will be a great addition to the blog, especially because she is very creative and has so many good food ideas to share. Thanks Karen!

No comments:

Post a Comment