“Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country.” William Jennings Bryan

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

May 25, 2020

Yesterday I harvested the first two zucchinis from the four plants I seeded in the hoop house back in March. I am really happy that planting these early has been successful. There was a bit of work involved such as double covering them with plastic every night up until May to keep them from freezing and then watering them very carefully each day.  Since they began to bloom, it has been up to me to pollinate them, which I continue to do by hand as there are no pollinators in the hoop house. I have also had to dust them with diatomaceous earth for insects every so often, as many make their home in the hoop house's humid warmth. It’s all paid off and what I have learned so far this year I will use and build upon for next year as I add other summer vegetables to my late winter planting.


No comments:

Post a Comment