“Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country.” William Jennings Bryan

Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 22, 2010

The seven o’clock sun
kneels down
behind
the huddle of willow oaks,
and prays the world to stillness.

In the silence
I curl my fingers into the soil
forming cradles for seed

God is here…beside me
We talk
without words…


The other day I did not go to meeting. Instead I went out to the garden and weeded and planted and prayed. Many times I feel that I am cut off from God when I am surrounded by four walls. Sometimes when I am in the meeting house, or visiting a church, I feel as if I am tying to get out and God is trying to get in, and we are both banging and prying at our sides of the walls to greet each other. When I am outside, there is no need for us to struggle at all- there is nothing there acting as a boundary….there is nothing to separate us. Outside, we are always together.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ken,
    Jeff Allen directed me to your blog today and I just want to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Teri, from Galloway National and I am in the process of building my little piece of heaven at our new home outside of Port Republic. I am hoping you might be able to help me learn about bees.
    Your writing about your struggle with God and walls has been my ongoing philosophy for years. It was so good to see it written by someone else.
    Hope to hear from you.
    Teri

    ReplyDelete