“Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country.” William Jennings Bryan

Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 15, 2010

I had my camera out the other day and took a few pictures from around the farm. I was also lucky enough to catch a video of Louie rolling in a recently tilled area in the field…


This is Aflac (she came with that name) whom we adopted a few weeks ago. Last winter, Aflac and two other ducks showed up out of nowhere in the neighborhood of one of my wife’s co-workers. Aflac’s pals were killed by cars, and so my wife’s friend asked us to take her before she came to a similar fate. Aflac is a White Crested duck, with a fluff of feathers on her head. So far she and our male duck, Duke, have hit it off!


Each year we add chickens to the flock so that we always have young laying hens. Our friend Bill says we are the only farm around that has a retirement plan for chickens – meaning we let them have a long life even after they stop laying. To do that we always add a new generation of chickens to keep us in eggs. This year we are raising six Rhode Island Reds, and one white Leghorn.


This is a picture of one of the Purple Martins that come back each year to nest at the farm.


The apple trees were loaded with blooms this year, and with the dry, windy weather, they were well pollinated and are now loaded with marble sized apples that should make a for a good crop this fall.


The other day there was a frost warning, so we rushed out to the field with black plastic nursery pots and set them over the young egg plant and tomato plants. It worked really well, as we did have a light frost and had no damage!

The following is a video of Louie – he likes to roll in the garden, and as I wrote in former post he always rolls just three times! He was out in the field with me as I was weeding, and I caught him on camera rolling in an area I had just tilled! I can’t get mad at Louie…he’s just so cool, even when he does something wrong.


And that's pretty much the farm this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment