“Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country.” William Jennings Bryan

Thursday, January 13, 2011

January 10, 2011

My nephew Erik sent me this e-mail. In the subject line he wrote “Simple Things”…

“I remember when growing up - sitting at the window for hours on end with our cat- watching birds, squirrels, chippies, and sometimes a hawk around our front yard bird feeder. I had many failed attempts at catching some of those critters with a bit of string a stick and a box. Those memories came back to me this morning at day break as I spread some fresh seed around our new little bird feeder. The birds were already enjoying their morning feast and scattered as I approached. They were quick to return to their white table as I walked away with an empty cup.”

This really brought back winter memories of my childhood growing up in central Pennsylvania, ‘cause I used to do the same thing with a string, wobbly stick, and a box. I think everyone who grew up in those parts did. I am sure the kids there still do. But what really moved me about his words is how they come from his connectedness with the outdoors and nature…its just so natural for him to observe and write something that might seem simple, but speaks so much…thanks Erik, and thanks for letting me post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment